Interconnecting devices have become a necessity in home and office environments. While many modern devices support wireless connectivity, old devices still depend on wires.
People like to connect their smartphones to their computer monitors for entertainment. If you are having old devices, they might not support wireless connectivity.
Even some smartphones don’t support casting or mirroring services. Therefore, to avoid such issues, you can go for an MHL cable which can enable your Smartphone-Monitor connectivity with ease.
Let us understand How to use MHL Micro USB to HDMI cable.
How to use MHL Micro USB to HDMI cable?
MHL stands for Mobile High-Definition Link which has a special HDMI input that enables connectivity between smartphones and Monitors. Follow these steps to connect a device using MHL micro-USB and HDMI.
Connecting MHL to HDMI
- MHL has a male micro-USB cable and a female HDMI port. The micro-USB is used for connecting the smartphone whereas the female HDMI port receives a connection from the Monitor.
- In your smartphone, you will have a female micro-USB port. Connect the MHL cable to your smartphone.
- Take a male HDMI cable and connect one end to the Monitor. Take the other end and connect it to the MHL female port.
- Now you have established a wired connection between your smartphone and Monitor directly.
How to view the smartphone display on PC Monitor?
- After connecting the MHL to the devices, switch on your Monitor and change the source option to HDMI.
- As soon as you change the source in your Monitor, the MHL starts to cast the smartphone display on your Monitor.
- Now you can able to play games, view photos, and watch movies with it.
- Apart from Monitor, you can use the same cable for different devices that are compatible with MHL.
Checking Device Compatibility
- It is very important to check device compatibility before buying the MHL cable.
- Smartphones are usually compatible, but not all monitors support MHL. Therefore, go to the official website of MHL, and check what devices can be used.
- The website lists all the devices that support the technology and even tell you how to use them.
Also read: Is cat 8 the best Ethernet cable for gaming?
What are the Advantages of using MHL Micro USB to HDMI cable
MHL is very effective in connecting smartphones to several devices that lack wireless connectivity.
- It helps you to control those devices from your smartphone.
- You can play games from your smartphone, watch movies, view photos and even cast certain applications like YouTube, Netflix, etc.
- In terms of technology, MHL enables seamless connectivity and has excellent data transfer abilities. It doesn’t lag while data transfer and establishes quality in displaying content over the Monitor.
- MHL has a transfer speed of 2.5 Gbps which can comfortably display 1080p resolutions. So, you can watch high-quality videos and movies comfortably without any lag.
- Since the connectivity is through the wire, you will not have any latency in data transfer and you can view the contents of your smartphone instantly on your Monitor. The latency is very less than 1ms.
- MHL also provides security to your data with HDCP technology and cannot be hacked by any means except through direct connectivity through the wire.
- Finally, the cost of the MHL is very less when compared to wireless casting devices and it is very convenient to use.
What Disadvantages of using MHL Micro USB ?
This device has many advantages, but there are also some disadvantages to using it.
- The major drawback of smartphones is their battery backup. They easily get discharged and cannot work for long hours. In order to tackle this issue, the MHL is equipped with a charging port that can provide up to 900mA at 5V. Since there is no technology to charge devices wirelessly, MHL offers the wired charging provision.
- The Second disadvantage is that the MHL Micro USB to HDMI cable does not work with all types of Monitors. For example, if you have a Monitors with only one HDMI port, this will not work because you need two ports in order for it to function properly.
- The third disadvantage is that this device only works with devices which have MHL technology built-in.
Is MHL Micro USB compatible in all the devices?
MHL Micro USB is a cable that is used to connect mobile devices to HDMI compatible screens. This cable is compatible with all the devices which have micro USB ports. It does not matter whether the device has a full-sized USB port or not, as long as it has MHL Micro USB ports.
What devices can connect with MHL micro-USB?
MHL micro-USB can be connected to the following devices:
- TVs and Smart TVs
- Home Theatre
- Car surround system
MHL micro-USB has the ability to connect different devices effortlessly. You can use your smartphone and control other devices such as TV, home theatre, etc.
Simply connect the HDMI from your TV to the MHL and connect the MHL micro USB to the smartphone and get unlimited entertainment.