All-in-One (AIO) PCs are compact yet powerful enough to perform resource-demanding tasks due to their high-end specs. Usually, AIOs are used by content creators and programmers due to the presence of high-end CPU and RAM.
Many AIOs allow users to upgrade their RAM and storage. Since it is used widely by content creators, they might need high-speed processing and it requires a larger RAM. So, in this article, we shall discuss the procedure to upgrade RAM in an AIO PC and understand its limitations of it.
How to upgrade RAM in All in One PC?
You can upgrade the RAM in an AIO PC like upgrading the RAM in a laptop.
- You just must remove the back panel,
- Access the memory bank slots,
- Slide in the SO-DIMM RAM at an angle with proper orientation, and
- Finally push it down till it clicks onto the spring-loaded holder.
It is very easy, and you just need a couple of screwdrivers to accomplish the task.
Let us now understand the procedure to upgrade RAM in detail with an AIO PC. Understand that this procedure is written generally, and it will suit most of the AIO models. You can check the manufacturer’s website for more detailed information about your model.
Procedure to Upgrade RAM in AIO PC
Check RAM slot availability
Before upgrading the RAM, you must check whether there are empty slots available for upgradation. You can check this out from the manufacturer’s website, and it will list the number of slots available. You can also know how much RAM is provided out of the box.
Check existing RAM availability
Go to the task manager and click on the performance tab. Under the performance tab, you can find the Memory option on the side. Click on it and you can get the details of the RAM available.
If your AIO can support a higher capacity and the availability of memory is low, then you can proceed to upgrade the RAM.
New RAM Installation
- Unplug the AIO and remove all the cables connecting the peripherals.
- Take the PC to a clean workspace.
- Place a clean, soft tablecloth over the workspace and keep the AIO facing the screen down.
- Remove the AIO stand by unscrewing it and keeping it aside.
- Locate the screws that keep the backplate intact and remove all of them.
- Place the screws in a box carefully so that you can replace them back without issues.
- Now slowly pry the backplate away from the screen. Don’t use force since the screen will be attached to the motherboard through a ribbon cable.
- You can detach the ribbon cable by unplugging it from the board carefully.
- Now, if your CPU and memory banks are exposed, you can directly reach the memory slots and upgrade them. In some models, you can find the board to be covered and you must remove the screws to uncover it.
- Once you find the memory bank, you can see the slots with small pins on the side.
- If you are upgrading by replacing existing RAM modules, then press the RAM chip gently and it will pop up. Remove it from the slot.
- Insert the new RAM at a 45 degrees angle and then gently press it down until you hear a click sound. The spring-loaded pins will lock the module in place properly.
- Also, be careful to insert the RAM module at the right orientation. There will be a small gap in between the pins, and you must align it in the right way.
- After successfully upgrading the RAM, you can replace the cover and plug the screen cable back.
- Fix the backplate carefully and place the screws in the appropriate slots. Screw them tightly and you have finished upgrading the RAM.
This is how you can upgrade RAM in your AIO and if you find any difficulty, you can find assistance from a professional technician. Let us now discuss the difficulties one may face during RAM upgradation in AIO PCs.
Other AIO PC How to Guides:
- How to connect All in one PC to TV HDMI?
- How to connect Xbox 360 to All In One PC?
- How to Upgrade the Graphics Card on All in One Computer?
- How to Add a Second Monitor to an All-in-one computer?
What are the difficulties in upgrading RAM in an AIO PC?
- You must access the memory bank by removing the back cover and you might need professional assistance.
- If you insert the RAM module in the slot with a different orientation, it will ruin the entire board.
- If you force the RAM into the slot, it will damage the slot and probably the motherboard.
- Without unplugging the AIO, you cannot replace the RAM.
- Trying to forcibly remove the backplate might damage the screen cable and possibly damage the board too.
- If you have all the slots full, you cannot upgrade them without replacing the existing ones.
- Without considering the maximum supported capacity, you cannot simply upgrade the RAM.
- You must buy a SO-DIMM RAM module and must match the type of pin present in the slot of your AIO.
Only after considering all these difficulties, you should go for upgrading or replacing the RAM in your AIO.
How much RAM can we increase maximum?
Popular brands that manufacture AIOs are HP, Dell, Lenovo, and Apple. Most of them allow RAM upgrades according to the model and you can check how much can be upgraded through their website.
As for HP, Lenovo, and Dell, they will at least have two slots and in one of the slots, they provide a minimum of 4GB RAM. You can upgrade it to at least 8GB by adding one more 4GB in the other slot.
In high-end models, you can even upgrade the RAM up to 40GB by adding two high-capacity RAM modules.
But in the case of the Apple iMac, you can upgrade RAM in older models that have Intel processors. As for the M1 processor, it is an SoC chip that has CPU, GPU, RAM, and neural engine in the same die, and you cannot upgrade RAM.
All In on PCs are highly effective for setting up a minimalist workstation. But you can have powerful processing with the help of a memory upgrade. With the help of this guide, you can easily replace or upgrade the RAM and enjoy higher processing power.