The Apple’s iMac Glass Screen is a revolutionary design that will change the way we interact with our computers. The screen is made up of a thick layer of glass which allows for it to be durable.
However, accidents may occasionally cause it to shatter. The front glass of the system must be replaced in such situation. This article explains how to go about doing that.
How to replace the iMac glass screen?
Replacing the top glass from an iMac screen is quite easy and you will only need two suction cups to perform the deed. With two heavy suction cups, you can simply remove the glass on the screen and simply fix the new glass onto it.
Not much expertise is required but you will have to be very careful and patient. Check out the detailed guide on glass replacement for the iMac screen in this article.
Which model of iMac can be repaired?
The following guide is for iMacs released in the years 2009, 2010, and 2011. They are the 21.5” iMacs which have a thick monitor screen. Only these models have a separate front glass on top of the screen.
In the later models, the front glass and the screen are inseparable and you have to replace the entire screen even if the top glass has got a crack. You can also see the whole system is very thin and it requires some expertise to remove the screen and replace it.
Therefore, this guide is for older iMacs manufactured before 2012. Let us check out the complete procedure now.
Glass Replacement Method for iMac
- Two heavy suction cups
- New iMac Glass
- Cleaning solution
- Micro Fiber cloth
Here are the Steps:
- First of all, remove the power supply to the iMac.
- Then place it flat on a table so that you can comfortably remove the glass.
- Place the two suction cups on two ends of the screen.
- To use the suction cups, first, place the cup with the handles parallel to the screen.
- Then lift the handles perpendicular to the screen so that it gets stuck to the glass.
- Once the cups are placed and stuck, slowly pull the glass with the handles in the cup.
- It will not be very difficult and you can simply pull the glass off the screen.
- The clips are also simply attached to the bottom of the screen and they are released when you pull it.
- After removing the glass, clean the screen with a mild cleaning solution and a microfiber cloth. This will ensure no dirt or debris is blocking the gluing of the glass to the screen.
- Once you finish cleaning, place the new glass on the screen with the clips in place and simply attach it to the screen.
- Slightly press the edges to ensure a complete fix over the screen and that’s it. You have installed a replacement screen for your iMac with simple tools.
Is it sensitive to replace iMac glass display?
Since you aren’t replacing the entire screen, there aren’t many problems encountered. But there are certain sensitivities you may encounter during the replacement. Here are some areas you need to be careful while replacing the glass.
- Replacing glass is always dangerous because it may easily break at any weak point.
- Since glass is brittle, they tend to crack while replaced. Due to this, they may damage the screen beneath it.
- The glass might hurt you physically during replacement.
- You may damage the clips holding the glass while replacing it.
What are the average costs for replacing iMac Screen?
The cost of replacing an iMac Screen will depend on the model, the type of screen, and the place where you purchase it. However, the cost of an iMac replacement is rather standard.
- The average cost of the iMac screen is around $50. It is cheap compared to the latest models.
- The cost of suction cups is around $10 to $15.
Therefore, the overall replacement cost is about $60 to $65 only. You don’t need any other tools and it is very easy to replace them without any skills.
iMac Screen Replacement: Original Vs. Copy
The original display for the iMac might be difficult to find; the following are some ideas.
1) Different brightness
When you look at the original LCD of an iMac screen, it is bright, and when you look at the brightness of the copy, it is considerably dimmer than the original, even when the brightness is set to full. If you’re still perplexed, compare your iMac’s screen to that of another iMac.
2) Move the mouse over the Software Icon.
If you click and hold any icon and drag it over other icons, the original screen programs will move quicker and the copy will not operate correctly.
3) The barcode
On the rear of the original iMac’s LCD, there is a barcode as well as the serial number. Although the barcode and serial number are often included on the copy, the original display has a large, legible barcode, while the replica only has a small one.
How to Maintain or clean the Replaced iMac Screen?
In order to maintain or clean your replaced iMac screen you will need:
- A dry cloth
- A microfiber cloth with water and mild soap
Here are the Steps to clean your iMac Screen
- Unplug the power cord from the back of the machine.
- Remove any cables that are connected to the computer.
- Use a dry cloth to wipe off any dust or dirt from the screen and frame.
- Use a microfiber cloth with water and mild soap in it to wipe down the screen and frame.
Replacing the screen is very easy with the older iMacs and this guide helps you with it. The newer models require more tools and little expertise.
But you can just replace the top glass on the screen simply with two suction cups. Also, the average cost is very less compared to other models.