PC cases can be found in different models and varieties. According to the hardware you are going to use, the size and model of the cabinet differ.
Most modern PC cases are equipped with cooling fans at the rear and front sides of the case. These fans can bring in a lot of dust along with the airflow. The dust can ruin the cooling efficiency and it has to be cleaned periodically.
Most of us know the procedure to remove the side panels. But what about the front panel? Since you get fans at the front part of your cabinet it is crucial to know the steps to remove the front panel so that you can customize or clean them.
In this article, we shall know the complete procedure to remove front panel of any PC case so that you can maintain your fans and clean the dust effectively.
How to Remove Front Panel PC Case?
You can find different models of PC cases and they vary in size, form factor, and budget. But the front panel assembly in all these cases is the same. Especially in the mid-tower ATX cases which are widely used by consumers, the front panel can be mostly removed without any tools. Let us get into the procedure.
Front Panel Removal in Low and Medium Budget Cases
In this category, it will be mostly mid-tower cases that don’t come with many features. Also, the budget will be low to medium.
- First, unplug the PC from all power sources and remove all the cables.
- Take the PC to a clean and spacious workstation so that you don’t damage other accessories and peripherals.
- Now locate the side panel and remove the screws to unlock it from the case. This will enable you to easily remove the front panel.
- Then, hold the front panel at the top and bottom. Slightly give a pulling force at the bottom with your hands. This would unlock the front panel from the clips.
- If you find it difficult to pull the panel, you can use a small screwdriver and slightly pry it at the sides.
- Do not use heavy force to pry or pull the panel. Because large forces can damage the clips and you cannot reinstall the panel.
- Once the front panel unlocks on one end, it will be easy to remove the other sides.
- Similarly, to reinstall it, just position the panel properly at appropriate clips and just press it. This will fix the panel back into the PC case.
Front Panel Removal in Premium Cases
In this category, you can find certain mid-tower models with glass front and full tower cases that cost a lot of money.
- Unplug all the power cords and cables that are used to connect the PC accessories and peripherals.
- Move the PC case to a spacious workstation. If you have a glass panel at the front, you have to be careful not to scratch or damage it.
- These cases will either have a magnetically attached front panel or a panel fastened with screws.
- You need to identify whether there are screws attached to the front panel. If so, then using a screwdriver, remove the screws and easily detach the front panel.
- If there aren’t any screws, it may either have clips or magnets attached to it. So, simply try to pull the panel with your hands.
- The attached panel will dislodge and you can access the front part of the PC case.
Nowadays, most cases come with a cooling fan in the front. So, it is not impossible to remove the front side of the case. Just try these two methods and choose an appropriate one for your cabinet.
Things to consider while removing the front panel
In some cabinets, you can find that the front panel has a bunch of ports and interfaces. You can also find the power button, reset button, and other important functions in the panel. The cooling fans may also be attached to the panel and connected to the PSU.
So, when you are removing the panel, don’t use too much force. Sometimes the front part can be slightly difficult to pull. At such times, you can use a little amount of force to dislodge the panel.
When too much force is applied, you may break the connections to the buttons and ports. Therefore, with utmost precaution, you must dislodge the front panel.
Another important thing is that you, never use any sharp or pointed object to remove the panel. Because it can damage the cabinet and you may have to replace it completely.
Particularly in budget cabinets, the panel might be hard plastic and it can easily chip off if you use a sharp object and heavy force.
Never try to remove the panel in your computer table itself. Because you may topple off other accessories and damage the components. Therefore, always move the cabinet to a spacious workstation.
You can also use a tablecloth to avoid slipping while removing the panel. The cloth gives you more friction and keeps the cabinet sturdy while you are working on it.
We have now understood the procedure to remove the front panel in different model cabinets. It is very easy and most of the time you don’t have to use any tools for this procedure. You can simply remove them with your bare hands. But you have to observe all the precautions and the guidelines recommended to avoid any mishap.
If you have access to the front panel, you can easily change the cooling fans, and RGB lighting, and install other fancy accessories. Also, you can clean the dust in the fans and maintain the cabinet more effectively.
If you are interested in building your own PC, you can always check out the usability of the PC cabinet. Before buying a PC cabinet, you can check out with the seller or manufacturer regarding the procedure to remove each part of the case so that you can maintain them in the future.