GPU is an important piece of hardware in any computer system. But getting a new one or upgrading them can empty your pockets these days. If you know how to increase performance of graphics card, you don’t have to worry about the ongoing crisis and spending a fortune to get a new one. Instead, you can just tweak the settings of the existing card and get enormous performance out of it.
How to increase performance of graphics card?
There are several ways in which you can boost the performance of your GPU. You can overclock the core components, use the windows settings, and use the graphics card manufacturer tools.
To make your graphics card work better you need to tweak the windows settings. You can tweak three settings in windows 10 which will help your graphics card run smoother.
Using Windows Graphics and Power settings
- With Windows 10, there is an option called Hardware Accelerated GPU scheduling and Variable refresh rates.
- Turning these two on will increase the performance.
- Go to settings and choose System.
- In the System window, click on to the display settings option.
- There you will find Graphics settings at the bottom.
- Click on it and turn on GPU scheduling and variable refresh rate option.
- Another easy option is to change the power settings.
- In the System window of the settings, click on the Power settings.
- Change the power mode from balanced to high performance to boost the overall performance.
Update Direct X
- Direct X is an API for graphics that helps the GPU to communicate with the games and other processes.
- Keeping it up to date with the latest version will help you to instantly increase the performance of the GPU.
- Just go to the Windows Update and security in the settings and check for the latest updates if you don’t have the latest Direct X version.
Update your Drivers
- If your graphics card drivers are out of date, then there can be a lag in the performance of your GPU.
- Right click on the start menu and choose device manager to enter into it.
- You will find an option called Display adapters.
- Click on it to reveal the GPU you have installed.
- Right click on the GPU and it will display an option to update the driver.
- Click on it to instantly update the driver and boost the performance.
- Make sure you are connected to the internet.
By overclocking your graphics card, you are able to get more performance out of it at a substantially lower cost than by upgrading your GPU.
This is one of the best ways to tweak your GPU to perform more. You can get more FPS and the performance increases around 10-15%. With the right overclocking tool, you can easily boost the performance of your GPU.
But you have to take precautions about the risks involved in overclocking as well as the proper cooling system installed in your PC. Along with overclocking, you can also increase the voltage to get more power to the GPU.
CPU and Memory overclocking
Even though overclocking the GPU is much more superior to the CPU, it will definitely give you an additional boost to the performance.
Also overclocking the RAM gives higher frame rates due to the increased memory speeds.
But in this case, also, you might have to invest in a cooling system. Also, you should check the capacity of the motherboard for overclocking compatibility.
Using tools from AMD and NVIDIA
- Turn off Anti-Aliasing and V-Sync – This is particularly for gamers to increase the FPS. Disabling these options will avoid sudden FPS drops and GPU throttling. You can find these in the game settings.
- Disable NVIDIA streaming – Go to the task manager and enter into the services tab. Click on the NVIDIA streamer service and go to properties. There you can find the Startup option and in the dropdown menu select Disabled. This will increase the performance of the GPU.
What are the benefits of increasing graphics card performance?
Some People think increasing graphics card performance only helps for Smoother gaming, But the reality is there are more benefits we can get from it. Here are the benefits:
- It helps in increasing the processing power required for graphics which cannot be handled by a CPU.
- You can play resource demanding games, render complex video edits and process 2D or 3D graphics easily.
- With a boosted GPU, you can connect multiple displays and setup a multi-tasking workstation.
- You can select high resolution settings with your gaming or editing processes. If you have a 4K monitor, it will be a great viewing experience.
What tools can boost Graphics performance?
If the above methods do not work properly, you can simply use these 3 tools to optimize your Graphics performance.
MSI Afterburner, Works great with all types of GPU and helps in increasing the gaming performance and other graphics settings of the PC. It has a pro-like user interface and powerful tweaking abilities along with overclocking scanner.
Razer Game Booster
Razer Game Booster is a great tool to automatically boost GPU performance. It is specifically designed for increasing gaming performance. But it can also tweak the GPU for overall graphics-related processes.
ASUS GPU Tweak II
ASUS GPU Tweak II is the latest software from ASUS to boost the performance of the GPU along with overclocking facilities. It is an all-rounder in terms of graphics card tweaking.
Does it take more power, if we increase performance?
Increasing the performance of the GPU will consume more power. Especially if you have overclocked the GPU and increased the voltage, then you will have higher power consumption from the PC. That is why it is important to check the wattage of PSU before tweaking the GPU settings to boost its performance.
Since getting a graphics card is in very high demand, it is important to check out these options to get good gaming or video rendering experience. These tools and steps will help you to manage the existing graphics card and improve its performance to an average level.