ChromeOS is one of the light operating systems you can get and Chromebooks are sought for their stability and speed. It doesn’t depend on offline applications. Instead, all the apps are available online and most of them are provided by Google.
So, this lightweight OS can be used for high efficiency. But what about printing? Does it require an online application to print? We shall discuss whether a Chromebook can be connected to a printer both online and offline.
Can Chromebooks connect to a Printer?
Yes, You can connect your Chromebook to a Printer if both devices are connected to the same WiFi network. Also, if your printer is old and not WiFi enabled, then you can connect it through the USB Port and add the printer to the Chromebook easily if the printer is compatible with ChromeOS.
Since Chromebooks use ChromeOS which is a Linux-based system that works with Cloud-based applications, you don’t have drivers to run the hardware. So, either your printer must have WiFi to connect to a Chromebook or it must be compatible with ChromeOS.
Let us now understand the different methods you can use to connect a Chromebook to your Printer.
Connecting a WiFi Enabled Printer
Most modern printers now have WiFi connectivity and can be easily used for wireless printing. Here are the steps you should follow to connect your Chromebook to your WiFi printer:
- Connect the Chromebook and the Printer to the same WiFi network. Connecting your printer to WiFi differs for each model. Therefore, follow the user manual and connect it.
- Now in your Chromebook, go to the search bar in the settings panel and enter Print.
- It will display a drop-down menu where you have to choose Add Printer option.
- Now it will open a menu that lists the available printers around you. Once your printer’s name is shown, click on the Set-up button.
- The device will be paired with your Chromebook instantly and you can hit Ctrl+P anywhere in the Chromebook to start printing.
In some instances, your Chromebook will not list the device in the Add Printer menu. If you are in that situation, follow this procedure:
- Type print in the search bar and select Add Printer option
- In this menu, click on the Add Printer button
- This will open a box that enables you to manually add the Printer’s IP address
- Give a name to your printer and enter the IP address of your printer in the Address option. You can find the IP address of your printer from the printer’s menu. Go to Settings and select Network in your Printer menu to find out the IP.
- After entering the IP, select the model of your printer and click Add.
- Your printer will now be connected to the Chromebook.
Connecting a Normal Printer without WiFi
Before getting into the procedure for connecting these printers, you must check the compatibility of the printer with the Chromebook. Because you cannot install a driver for such printers in ChromeOS. Therefore, check the compatibility of the printers from here: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/12403345?hl=en. Once you found whether the printer is compatible, follow this procedure to connect it:
- Usually, printers connect to other devices through a USB cable. If your Chromebook has a USB port, then you can simply connect the printer to the port. Otherwise, you have to choose an appropriate adapter to connect it to the device.
- As soon as you connect a compatible printer, ChromeOS will pop up a setup menu for it. Click on the popup and select Add printer.
- Once you finish the setup, your printer will be ready to work with the Chromebook.
These are the ways in which you can connect a printer to your Chromebook and enjoy printing any kind of document instantly.
Pros and Cons
- Instant connectivity to Chromebook if your printer is modern and WiFi enabled.
- Easy printing from anywhere from the Chromebook just by hitting Ctrl + P.
- The Chromebook also supports USB connectivity which enables older printers to work with it.
- You can print any document from anywhere around your office or home until it is connected to the same WiFi network.
- The best wireless printing experience can be obtained
- You can add several printers to the Chromebook and choose to print with anyone as per your requirement
- Works best with wireless printing. Therefore, it requires a WiFi connection and a WiFi-enabled printer.
- Old printers might not be compatible with it and you cannot install a driver to operate it.
- Doesn’t work well in offline mode and is mostly useless
1. What types of printers are compatible with Chromebooks?
You can check the list of compatible printers from this link – https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/12403345?hl=en. Only the printers listed here are compatible and you cannot use any other model.
2. Can we print anything with Chromebooks?
Yes, you can print any document, file, text, image, etc. with your Chromebook. But you need to be connected online to open the files in a cloud application. After opening the file, you can hit Ctrl+P and print anything. All the google apps will support printing like Windows applications.
3. How connecting a printer with a Chromebook better than a Windows PC?
You don’t have to install any additional software or drivers to operate the printer. The Chromebook doesn’t require any kind of software to use the printer. But it requires an internet connection. Adding the printers are also very easy and you can connect multiple printers easily.
4. What are the recommended printer models for Chromebook?
Brother, Canon, Epson, and HP are some of the recommended printer models for Chromebook. You can choose any model from these brands that has WiFi connectivity to use with the Chromebook.
Chromebook is the best lightweight device you can use particularly if you are a student or a normal PC user. The OS is stable, light, and provides better efficiency.
Printing in a Chromebook is very easy and connectivity is possible with a WiFi network. It also provides USB connectivity with some models which makes it similar to a normal PC-like printing experience.