Many houses have thick walls, which can make it hard to get a good wireless signal. If you find yourself in a place with no Wi-Fi, this post will help you. The use of a mesh Wi-Fi router allows you to extend the range of your wireless network into areas where the signal is extremely weak. It’s easy to disperse these in your house to increase the capacity of your Wi-Fi.
There are countless Wi-Fi router systems available. However, we’ll focus on the top ten in this post. All of these companies have known to be the most reliable, rated, and cost-effective router systems. The best way to ensure that you get the best possible signal all across your home is to take a look at these fantastic options. Let’s start!
Do thick walls affect WiFi?
Yes, walls do affect WiFi signals. This can be a problem for some people who live in apartments and condos with thin walls. However, the effect of thick walls on WiFi is not always negative. For example, a home with thick walls can still have a strong WiFi signal from the router. Walls that are less than 4 inches thick can reduce a WiFi signal by up to 35%. Walls that are more than 4 inches thick can reduce the signal by up to 50%.
There are different ways to combat the issue of thick walls affecting WiFi signals. One way is to use an external antenna for your router or a wireless repeater. Another way is by using a Wi-Fi extender which can help boost the signal from your router to get through any thick walls, But we are recommending using the best router with a strong wifi signal.
Best Router for an Old House with Thick Walls
Here are some top pickups from the top 10 list.
- Gryphon Parental Control Router & Mesh WiFi System – up to 3000 sqft
- Motorola MG7550 Modem WiFi Router Combo with Power Boost
- Linksys EA7500 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router for Home
- Tp-link AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Routers for Home
- Meshforce M7 Tri-Band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System
10 Top best routers for thick walls
This section is about 10 routers that are the best for thick walls. It offers key features, pros and cons, verdicts, product reviews, and product page links so that you can easily find out more information about these products.
You’ve been looking for a router to cover your thick-walled house, but you haven’t found one yet? The Asus RT-AC86U works well with a wide variety of suppliers and devices.
The router has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, and the 802.11ac wireless technology makes them work better. You’ll be able to use the Internet at a speed of 2900Mbps, which stays the same on devices even when they go through thick walls.
The router also has a dual-core processor that runs at 1.8GHz. This makes the router work better and makes the network reach farther.
Another fantastic feature of the best router for an old house with thick walls, the ASUS RT-AC86U router, is its security.
Finally, a router with wired connections, such as four-gigabit ports and two USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, is ideal for a residence with thick walls.
- MU-MIMO new technology: Every compatible device has a full-speed Wi-Fi connection due to its MU–MIMO technology. Several devices may join simultaneously without affecting the network’s overall performance.
- AiProtection Security: ASUS AiProtection is a commercial-grade network security system built into the RT-AC86U. Trend Micro Smart Home Network powers it. With AiProtection, all devices that are connected are safe.
- Very fast: Its AC2900 dual-band (2.4 and 5 GHz) wireless router has the latest 802.11ac technology and the 11AC MU-MIMO technology, which can move data up to 2900 Mbps.
- Asus App: Also, with the ASUS router app, you can monitor and control your network. In addition, you can set up your network, manage use and parental controls, and even get alerts about important network-related events right from your phone.
- Simple to set up and maintain
- It features dynamic QoS.
- This router provides excellent security.
- The Internet is reliable and strong.
- Two bands might not be enough for a big family
The ASUS AC2900 is a great option if you’re a hardcore gamer. As the finest router for an old home with thick walls, the Asus Ac2900 is a great option if you have money to spend.
NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band
This Netgear Orbi mesh network system is one of the best on the market right now. It has high-end features for the best network connectivity throughout the whole house.
One main router and two satellites are included in a three-pack. This tri-band mesh network system is easy to set up, covers up to 6000 square feet, and can reach speeds of up to 2.2Gbps throughout your home.
The setup also makes it easy to sync up with Alexa, so your smart home system will work at its best. You can also buy an extra satellite node if you move into a bigger house or need more coverage in the backyard or basement. The mesh system is very easy to expand.
The tri-band backhaul system is the other thing that makes this mesh system unique. There is a dedicated band between the router and the satellite nodes. This frees up other bands to be used for faster speeds.
Beamforming and MU-MIMO, and Smart Connect all improve wireless signals and the system’s overall performance.
The parental controls of the best router for an old house with thick walls and comprehensive security measures that guarantee the safest network may also appeal to you.
- Operating App: You can do basic things from the app, like turning on and off the guest network and changing the wireless network’s name and password.
- Tri-band Mesh Technology: It enhances the WiFi experience by making it unlimited. Having a third dedicated wifi connection between satellites and the router provides the fastest speeds possible with a tri-band router.
- Security: To keep the online privacy of Netgear users safe. They protect Mac, Windows, and Android phones from viruses and data theft in various ways.
- Antennas That Work: The router has six internal antennas that work well and is powered by high-powered amplifiers.
- Outstanding Performance
- The setup is extremely simple.’
- Achieving better performance with MU-MIMO
- Parental control feature
- Modern cyber threat defense
- A Little Expensive
Orbi Pro Wi-Fi 6 from Netgear is easy to use and can increase coverage on demand. For the price, you get a lot of speed and range and access to Netgear’s Insight cloud platform.
Tenda Nova Mesh WiFi System
This Nova mesh system comes in a three-pack and uses Realtek chipsets instead of the Qualcomm chipsets that most other systems use. This system is also different because it comes with two hybrid wall-plug units.
It works with smart home systems like Alexa and others. Also, the three units do a great job of covering areas up to 6000 square feet. The other unit uses AC1200 wireless protocols, which means you can get up to 1200Mbps of internet speed. Which speed is best for streaming and gaming? Then there are beamforming technologies and Nova 2.0 MU-MIMO.
This best router for an old house with a thick wall system can connect up to 60 devices, which will work perfectly. The Tenda app makes it easy to set up and manage devices. The app also lets you set up parental controls and guest networks quickly and easily.
- Adaptability and high storage capacity: It has MU-MIMO and Beamforming technology, and it’s equipped with a gyroscope.
- Secure network: To keep your network and any connected devices safe from hackers, encrypt your WiFi password using WPA2-PSK.
- Setup is easy: With the Tenda Wi-Fi APP, you can quickly and simply set up, monitor, and manage your home Wi-Fi network. Three easy steps are all it takes to add a new node to an existing Nova network.
- Advanced controls for kids and access for guests
- Simple to install and manage
- High-performance Beamforming and MU-MIMO
- Comprehensive coverage
- The rates could be increased.
The Tenda Nova is great for gamers and people who watch 4k live events, but it won’t be worth it for most people. The Asus AC2900 is the best router for an old house with thick walls if you have the money.
The Motorola MG7550 is a router/modem combo. Because of this device’s power boost technology, it is very likely to operate properly for your thick concrete walls.
This one has already been singled out as the fastest performance and for a good reason. Also, these router provides download speeds of up to 300 Mbps and up to 1900 Mbps upload speeds.
In addition, it has 16 channels for downstream traffic and four channels for upstream traffic. Because it has a full-band tuner, you’ll obtain the fastest possible speed from this. This method will focus its efforts on the channels with the least amount of traffic.
Besides the three transmit, and three receive channels, a computer or cable device may utilize the four GigE Ethernet connections. The manufacturer provides a two-year guarantee, and you may contact the firm for any concerns with your router.
- AC1900 Wi-Fi and Power Boost: It does have both AC1900 Wi-Fi and power increases. These two features improve the strength of the received signals and reduce the amount of power being used.
- 4 LAN Ports for Gigabit Ethernet: You will also be able to use more than one device simultaneously.
- Two-year promise: Motorola offers a two-year warranty from the company that made it.
- Good Pace: The modem part of the MG7550 has a full-band digital tuner that finds the networks automatically.
- Simple and quick installation
- It has four-stream channels.
- Direct onboard connection
- Three internal antennas provide adequate coverage.
- Slightly bulky router
This modem is great and valuable for an old house with thick walls. The speed of this router is great, and as you can see, it saves a lot of space. It also eliminates the need for wires, which saves you space.
Gryphon Mesh WiFi System AC3000
Gryphon AC3000 is the best solution for internet security because of its high level of encryption. That is because your house needs it. Hack prevention, intrusion detection, and ESET malware protection combine in a beautiful style.
You’ll also like how easy it is to get started and keep things running smoothly. It’s easy to set up a network using the Gryphon app’s stage process instructions. The parental control router mobiles app makes it simple for you to keep an eye on your youngster.
Another benefit of the Gryphon AC3000 router is its outstanding performance. Stable and dependable mesh network. It offers a 3000-square-foot area covered by 802.11ac/b/n/g Wi-Fi technology, perfect for connecting all types of devices. The triband features a 2.4+5.0+5.0Ghz combo, perfect for network speed and expansion.
- Easy to set up: We found that Gryphon was very simple and easy to use. Once the setup was done, It could get a strong Wi-Fi signal on both floors of my house and in the backyard. Gryphon suggests that the range is about 3,000 square feet.
- Built-in protection: Gryphon uses machine learning to determine what kinds of devices in your home are connected to the Internet. When one of the devices does something out of the ordinary or has a big behavior change, it sends out an alert. This makes it easier to find viruses, malware, and ransomware. Gryphon, on the other hand, is run by ESET. The Gryphon router can stop people from getting into your network and accessing dangerous sites.
- Filter Smart Web: Filters for the Internet need to be smarter than just blocking pornographic and drug-related sites. These are important, no doubt.
- Managed Devices: The Gryphon router lets you set different rules for most of the devices in your home that connect to the Internet.
- Fast internet access
- A lot of coverage
- Several high-performance technologies
- A great parental control router for the home
- Confusion may arise when trying to extend.
The Griffin routers change the game when combining online safety and parental controls. We were very happy with how easy the software is to use on this best router for an old house with thick walls.
Amazon eero router
Amazon’s eero mesh system is the most beautiful, high-performance, and large-coverage mesh system for all of your home’s rooms. Despite its high price, it has a dependable mesh system that provides at least 5,000 square feet of coverage. A user-friendly mobile app makes installation a breeze, and system administration is also a breeze. It’s compatible with Alexa, making smart home control and setup a breeze.
For speed and overall performance, this mesh system has wifi rates up to 550Mbps, thanks to its tri-band design. And owing to the 700MHz quad-core CPU, 4GB flash storage, and 512MB RAM, you won’t have to worry about performance disparities. Also included in this device’s capabilities are 22 MU-MIMO and Beamforming.
Along with WPA2 encryption and VPN Passthrough, this mesh network’s additional security features include NAT and DHCP, family profiles, IPv6, UPnP, and Static IP.
- Setup is easy: Setting up the eero is easy and fun because it comes with a well-designed app and a setup wizard that is easy to follow. Amazon says setup takes less than 10 minutes, which is true if you don’t count the time to connect all of your devices to the network.
- Taking care of your network: Once you’ve finished setting up your new eero network for the first time, you can start connecting your devices to it. The eero app makes it easy to give each connected device a name and an icon.
- Compatible with Alexa: It works well with the Alexa device, so you can easily control WiFi access for devices and people in your home. This lets you take your attention away from your screens and back to what’s important.
- It is compatible with the Alexa and Apple ecosystems.
- Simple to install
- Tri-band performance at high speed
- Excellent security features
- MU-MIMO and Beamforming technology
- It lacks QoS.
The eero Mesh WiFi System is great. Its elegant design and ease of use set it apart from the old WiFi routers that are bulky and hard to use. Most importantly, it eliminates two of the most annoying things about home WiFi: how hard it is to set up and where it doesn’t work.
The Linksys EA7500 is now one of the best routers for an old house with thick walls. It is also easy to set up. Whenever you see this name on the name of a router, you will assume that the router works with the 802.11ac standard for wireless networking.
Their max-stream AC1900 router with MIMO technology has two different bands. This can give you a total speed of up to 1,733 Mbps on the 5GHz band and 800Mbps on the 2.4GHz band.
The router has a dual-core processor and can handle three data streams simultaneously. You can also control the network from anywhere in the world.
The router has a wireless WPA/WPA2 firewall and an SPI firewall. That will give your network strong support to keep you safe from any threads.
- Simple to use: Under ideal circumstances, the EA7500’s setup is simple. After plugging in the power cord and connecting the WAN port to your Internet connection, you can use the provided wireless network card to establish a connection to the network.
- High-Speed Ethernet Connectivity Ports: A USB 3.0 port is included in this Wi-Fi router. Connecting an external storage device to your network at rates ten times faster than USB 2.0 allows you to transfer files or share devices over your local area network (LAN).
- Technology that uses a beamforming method: Beamforming technology is used in the MAX-STREAM AC1900 Router. Consequently, the router can focus its Wi-Fi signal on particular devices rather than broadcasting it in a broader area. Consequently, Wi-Fi connections are quicker, more reliable, and have greater wireless range.
- Dual-Band Transfer Rates: Dual-band Wi-Fi rates of up to 1.9 Gbps may be achieved with the Linksys MAX-STREAM AC1900 router. Light Internet uses older wireless N and G devices to benefit from the 2.4 GHz band’s 600 Mbps maximum speed. The 1300 Mbps bandwidth of the second 5 GHz band is ideal for online gaming and video streaming.
- You can link up to 12+ devices.
- It features a USB 3.0 port.
- Dual-Core Processor
- It is equipped with Beamforming Technology.
- File transfers via USB do not accept exFAT.
It’s also easy to use and one of the most beautiful things. Most first-time users will want to change settings that are easy to find.
Even a low-cost router may squeak through thick walls. Our recommendation is the TP-Link Archer A7, a router that’s both easy to use and affordable.
With three antennae, the A7 is horizontally oriented. Your signal will be boosted thereby. With the antenna, the signal will be able to pass through solid materials like brick or concrete. The 4 x 1 Gigabit ports on the routers will allow you to connect whatever devices you choose.
However, it has a history of crashing, so you’ll want to keep that in mind when setting it up. The pricing has no bearing on the router’s performance. That’s a lot more bandwidth than the typical household obtains.
These routers can reach up to 1750 Mbps, which is three times quicker than ordinary routers. The 5 GHz spectrum provides 1,300 Mbps, whereas the 2.4 GHz band offers 450 Mbps.
The QoS bandwidth prioritization feature on routers ensures that your devices get the bandwidth they need to maintain a steady connection. Online streaming will look stunning in 4K HD on this device.
- Dual Band Router: This makes it possible to stream in 4K and play games online. That means people who want to watch the latest show season all at once while their kids (or husbands or boyfriends) play games.
- Coverage Is Good: With its three external antennas, the router is said to be able to connect people to the Internet in an area of 2500 square feet. This is true, but it doesn’t make a strong link. But with a range extender that works with TP-Link OneMesh.
- Connectivity: As we’ve already said, you can connect your printer to the router’s 2.0 USB port to make it easy to use. We are quickly moving toward a time when most devices can work with USB 3.0. It might be a good idea for TP-Link to just stick with the one USB port it has.
- Cloud Configuration via App: The program does a good job setting you up since it uses default configuration settings and just asks for information such as the kind of network you want and the names and passwords you want to use.
- It has dual-band networks.
- There are three detachable dual-band antennas.
- 802.11ac compatibility
- 1.75 Gigabits per second of total bandwidth
- Few users complain about coverage.
A little dip in upstream performance is all that the TP-Link Archer C7 needs to be considered an issue; downstream performance is still good to great despite the drop in upstream performance. Which factors are the most critical? As a result, it’s one of the finest routers for a home with thick walls.
Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD WiFi System
If you use this type of router, you’ll get a more stable network. Because of this, you will reap the benefits of network expansion and the elimination of dead zones. The signal may pass through the massive walls despite their thickness.
The 802.11 ac wi-fi technology contained in the router provides fast speeds. It employs multiple radio and wi-fi antenna configurations to secure your connection. 4k streaming, fast downloads and uploads, and other smart home activities will be available.
The Ubiquiti router will operate at its best if it is still in the same place. There are no wires or holes in the walls, so installation is a breeze. It offers a user-friendly interface that simplifies network connections.
- Speed and status of the connection: The Amplifi app is easy to use, and the home screen shows how all of your devices are connected. If you tap the router’s icon or a mesh point, you can see how it’s working and change the settings.
- Tests of speed: With the app, it’s easy to find out how fast my phone is connected to the Internet. Even though our phone doesn’t have Wireless-AC WiFi, we could easily get 50 Mbps to download speed and 30 Mbps wireless upload speed, which we haven’t been able to do with other WiFi equipment.
- Guest Networking: With the Ubiquiti Amplifi, it’s easy to set up a network for guest networks. You decide how many people you’ll get in and at what time. It is also possible to give guests their network names and password.
- Easy installation: The box of the Ubiquiti Amplifi contains the router, two mesh points, a LAN cable, and a power adapter for the Amplifi router. The installation is a piece of cake, and anyone can do it.
- Touchscreen display with simple operation
- Ethernet ports 4 Gigabit
- Up to 10,000 square feet of coverage
- The AmpliFi app is simple to use.
- Few users complain about the durability.
The AmpliFi routers from Ubiquiti Labs are an excellent mesh network option. Setup is a snap with these routers, and they’re all gorgeous to look at. The AmpliFi software includes a wide range of troubleshooting and network maintenance features, and the coverage is rock strong.
Meshforce M7 Tri-Band
Meshforce M7 is yet another solid mesh wifi router system that works great from behind thick walls. The white cylinders that make up the nodes are very similar in terms of their design. Each node has a silver disc on top for decoration, and on the front, just below the Meshforce logo, a small LED light always glows green.
When the internet connection is working, the logo flickers green and glows white. This indicator lights green when the connection is fast and solid red when the network is slow. There are two high-speed gigabit WAN ports, power, and reset keys on the bottom.
In addition to 256MB of integrated RAM, each node has a dual-core CPU. Also, it comes with four built-in high-gain antennas and 802.11ac circuitry for MU-MIMO and Beamforming. Also, the band steering makes it possible for WiFi signals to get through thick walls.
- Parental control: Basic parental controls are also included in the product’s software. In this way, you may create user profiles for your family members and set access restrictions for each one. My Mesh is a smartphone app that lets you manage your mesh network’s configuration.
- Mobile App: There is a network map and an internet upload and download stream on the My WiFi screen when you open it.
- Dual-band speed: The 2.4 GHz channel of this mesh router system has a bandwidth of up to 300 Mbps. Also, every channel on each of the 5 GHz bands has 867 Mbps of bandwidth.
- Firewall protection: Meshforce M7 also has other advanced features, such as a firewall that is already built-in. This helps fight against network malware, guest wifi, and seamless roaming to ensure that each connected client can access the Internet smoothly and safely. Even so, this mesh system can cover up to 6000 square feet. When it’s behind thick walls, you can add more nodes to it to make it work on more than one floor.
- Simple to Install
- Dual-Core Processor
- Protected against Malware
- Technology-Based on MU-MIMO
- Quality maintains problems
With a tri-band AC2100 connection and two Ethernet ports, the Meshforce M7 is faster than most people need. It’s also easy to set up with an Android app and has enough range for even the best router for an old house with thick walls.
Buying Guide – Router for an Old House with Thick Walls
The range and speed of the best router for an old house with thick walls and the Internet are slowed down by thick walls. On the other hand, these walls are the finest in terms of home security and durability.
The finest router for piercing walls can only be found if you have a clear idea of the essential qualities to you.
You want a dependable and fast router to keep up with the demand for activities like streaming movies or playing games online. The best router for thick walls may be found by following the advice in the following paragraphs.
The router you purchase for thick walls must have a greater range of connections. It would aid in making the signal strength, therefore, a dependable network. The best thick wall penetrating routers discussed here offer some of the best operating ranges of any router we’ve looked at. The Wi-Fi signal will be able to penetrate the thick walls thanks to these routers. Can utilize the mesh Wi-Fi system technology to provide Wi-Fi connectivity in any part of your house.
The finest router for an old home with thick walls is one that serves you and is reasonable. But in this situation, the budget should be taken into account after the penetration of thick walls. There’s no need to buy a router that won’t be able to provide high-speed Internet to your entire home.
The network’s flexibility
Stretching the network should be a breeze with the right router. Therefore, you should look at mesh routers or routers used with mesh devices. Other Wi-Fi extender-compatible routers may also be available.
For thick walls, a router that can expand its network is ideal. There are Wi-Fi extenders and satellites available if there is a dead zone.
The current state of knowledge
It’s possible to overcome thick walls using the router’s technology. Wi-Fi 6 router systems, Beamforming, and powerful antennas are among these technologies.
As a result, while shopping for a router for thick walls, look for all of the above. If you want to maximize your router’s performance, you should use these technologies.
- How many Watts do a Modem and Router use?
- Should I use my own router with Comcast?
- How to move the Router and Modem to another Room?
- What does Dual Band mean on a Router?
Frequently Asked Questions
Are range extenders better than wireless mesh systems?
There’s no question that the wireless mesh systems cost more than range extenders and most traditional routers. But once you look past the price, you’ll see that the higher price is well worth it. The best thing is that the mesh systems can quickly move around thick walls and get rid of dead zones. The mesh systems are the best whole-house systems because they are easy to set up and use.
Why do thick walls like concrete block WiFi signals?
When electromagnetic waves (WiFi signals) pass through brick and concrete walls, they are stopped by the thick materials and parts in these walls. And depending on what the signals have to go through, they either get absorbed or bounced back. Brick and concrete block the signals, which means that the signals can’t get where they need to go because of interference. Ensure that the 2.4GHz band is set up for high speed for the best network access throughout your home. The 5GHz band may be very fast, but it doesn’t reach as far.
It’s a huge plus if your router’s Wi-Fi signals can get through thick walls. Because it’s simple to use, you can have a digital assistant with just about any connected device you want. We hope this article will help you find a router that can go through walls and connect more than one device. You want to ensure that your network is safe from cyberattacks and malicious hackers.
You won’t be safe if you don’t have a decent security system and strong wireless signal. A better router can do both. Also, all of your devices will be able to communicate without any issues. These best routers for an old house with thick walls performed well in our tests. Your selection now depends on your needs and budget.
Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer: We hope you love the product we recommend! Just so you know, We may Collect a share or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our link, we really appreciate it!