All-in-one computers are very beneficial because of their compactness and their equivalent performance to a desktop. On a desktop, you can connect multiple displays according to the specifications of the GPU and the port availability. Similarly, in an All-in-one setup, you can connect two or three monitors with it according to port availability.
If you are into video editing or programming, you might need this multiple display setup in order to comfortably perform those tasks. So let us find out how to add a second monitor to an all-in-one computer to start with our multitasking.
How to Add a Second Monitor to an All-in-one computer?
There are two scenarios possible according to the model and make of your AIO PC. Either you have sufficient video ports to connect a second display or you lack video ports. Let us discuss both scenarios and know how to connect a second monitor.
Video ports available in your AIO PC
Your PC will have different types of ports and jacks to connect various peripherals to it. Like USB ports, you have different models of video ports. They are:
- Display Port
Each port is different in architecture but almost performs the same function of displaying graphics to a screen or monitor. If your AIO has any one of these ports, then connecting a second monitor is very simple.
- First look for these ports in the PC. If you at least have any one of these ports then you have to get relevant cable for it. For example, if your PC has an HDMI port (which is very likely), then you have to buy an HDMI cable.
- Simultaneously, check out the port availability in your second monitor as well. If it also has HDMI, then with a simple HDMI cable, you can just connect both the ports and use the second monitor.
- To enable the second monitor, go to display settings in your AIO PC and choose multiple displays. Your AIO should automatically detect any display connected. If not, click detect.
- After detection, click on Enable “Extend” option to multitask in both the displays. You can also choose other options according to your functionality and need.
Lack of Video Ports
Sometimes you will see there aren’t any video ports in your AIO or your second monitor. In such situations, you have to seek connectivity through other available ports.
Every AIO will have sufficient USB ports and you can make use of them with some adapters to connect another monitor.
The choice of adapters depends on the port availability of your second monitor. Most of the commercially available monitors have either HDMI or VGA ports.
- If you have a VGA port in your second monitor, you have to buy a VGA adapter with a USB cable and a VGA cable.
- Connect this adapter to the USB port of your AIO and take the VGA cable to connect it to the VGA adapter.
- Take the other end and connect it to the second monitor.
- After connecting, the monitor, go to display settings and select the second monitor to enjoy multitasking.
- If VGA is not available, you can make use of HDMI and there are HDMI-USB adapters available.
- Otherwise, if your AIO has HDMI and your second monitor has VGA, you can use HDMI to VGA adapter and connect the monitors directly.
Also, Read the below post,
- How long does an all-in-one computer last?
- Can All one Computers be wall mounted?
- How to Upgrade the Graphics Card on All in One Computer?
What if AIO PC is not compatible with the second monitor?
At times, you will find the second monitor being incompatible with the AIO PC. The PC doesn’t detect the presence of another display. It may be due to the following reasons:
- Hardware incompatibility
- Improper cable usage
So, to combat this, you can first try changing the type of cable you are using. Sometimes the adapters don’t work properly and lead to such issues. Change the adapter and you can easily resolve it.
Try changing the ports and see whether the display is being detected. There might be a problem with the port and it might not be able to sense the presence of a connected display. Therefore, switch the ports.
Try updating your display drivers. Most of the time the drivers require an update to support a multi-display setup.
- Just search for the device manager in the search bar and go to display adapter.
- Right-click on it and click update.
- If there is an update available online, it will download it and the problem is resolved.
If nothing works, you have to change the second monitor. There is no other option other than changing the model if none of the above-mentioned guidelines work. This happens only when there is hardware incompatibility between the displays. Especially if the second monitor is very old, it might have such issues.
Benefits of adding a second monitor on all in one computer
The benefits of adding a second monitor to your computer are numerous. In this section, I will be discussing the benefits of adding a second monitor on all-in-one computers.
- You can multitask and work on more than one task at the same time.
- You can save a lot of time by not switching between windows.
- It helps to increase productivity and boost efficiency.
- You can use it as a hub for all your devices, including your laptop, tablet, or smartphone.
- It will make your workflow smoother and easier because you won’t have to switch between windows anymore.
Can I add a second monitor to all types of AIO PC?
Yes, it is possible to set up a second monitor for all types of AIO PC. Most of the modern PCs come with a sufficient number of ports and it is very easy to connect a second monitor directly. Rarely you will find incompatibility issues. HDMI ports are very common in the current PCs and monitors. So, there will not be an issue in connecting the second monitor to your AIO.
Can I add 4k monitors as a second monitor on AIO PC?
We can add 4K monitors as a second monitor on all in one computer. The only thing that needs to be done is to install a 4K monitor driver and then connect the monitor.
There is no standard way of adding a 4k monitor as a second monitor. In some cases, the 4k monitor will work as an extended display while in other cases,
There are different ways of adding 4K monitors as a second monitor on all in one computer. But the most popular way is by using the DVI-D Dual Link connector, which is also known as DP 1.2 connector.
Every techie who performs multi-tasking or programming requires a multi-monitor setup. Especially programmers widely use an AIO PC due to its compactness and when they need a second monitor, it is easy to set up with the help of this guide. Connect a secondary display and work comfortably.